Saturday, April 7, 2007

DVD Part 2

2 Days after I cant burn the darn DVD-R 16x Disc, I purchase 1 DVD+R Imation 16x to test whether my DVD drive able to burn DVD or not.

After login to my laptop, I directly start my nero burning rom and test how nero able to recognize the new disc as empty DVD disc or not. Nero able to recognize it as empty DVD. Yayyy finally I'm able to burn ^____^ I load my previous project, and start to burn immediately. Darn... it only able to recognize it as empty disc, but when trying to burn the DVD, I always encounter the same issue, unable to continue process. Unknown command when executing DVD burning.

Now I completely blur, how can I burn a simple dvd, or the shop just play marketing game to me. Never give up... I just think that perhaps incompatible disc. Perhaps the imation disc is not suitable with my burner.

The week after I bought the DVD Drive, I went out to the same place, but not for complaining the DVD Drive. I went there with Riko because he want to try to repair his laptop.

After that, I decided to purchase 25 pieces of DVD+R. Learned from the old issue, I will only buy the +R disc, and because I want to reduce the chance of failure when burning, I purchase the branded disc that already known with its quality... At end I choose Verbatim DVD+R 16x. It's a good brand isn't it?


Reached to home, and yet tested whether my DVD drive able to burn the verbatim discs, I try to browse at the internet and try to find as many as possible regarding any information for my DVD drive, and 1 article recommend me to use nero info tools to see whats your DVD Drive able to write?

And it stated able to write DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, and the speed for burning DVD only for 2.4x (Darn...) It's an old model indeed, not the new one. The other article told me that the DVD Drive only able to burn DVD 4x - 8x speed only, and cant burn the 16x one.

Oh nooo... what will I do with those 25 pieces of verbatim DVD+R 16x disc? I already purchased it.. and theres no way to give it back to the store and trade it with 8x disc.

Sigh... another good way to waste $ :D
So.... I made up my mind to test with 4x disc and 8x disc.. But, nowadays its quite hard to find the old disc that have 8x or 4x speed... all stores only sell the 16x DVD discs.

The hunting ends after I visited mustafa and find sets of DVD+R 8x disc and DVD+R 4x disc. Finally... after a long journey... I finally found the place that sold the old DVD disc^^. But still worrying whether its able to burn or not.

Finally its able to work.. so confirm my Drive is a DVD+RW drive that only able to burn old DVD+R discs and DVD+RW discs..

Here is the source URL that I used for learning the DVD formats

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/2003/DVDFormatsExplained.asp

Below is the chunk of details that I extract from the site.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.

DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can record data only once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.


Below is the chunk of information that I've extract that informed me that 16x Discs will not work on my DVD Drive.

Pros: Verbatim brand; price.

Cons: I cannot get these to burn with my Philips DVD+RW SDVD6004. Also, the retailer's "receipt" must be sent in with rebate form; when I called the rebate center to see what constituted as the receipt from newegg, I was told there was an unresolved "issue" with this particular rebate and my question "could not be answered".

Other Thoughts: My internal Philips SDVD6004 drive came as an option with my Inspiron 5100 laptop; I have been using it to successfully burn video and data DVDs for about a year now, but I cannot get it to burn these particular DVDs. They are the first Verbatims I have attempted to burn with this drive. I have spent a considerable amount of time researching this problem with little success. The best answer I've found so far is that my particular burner is old/problematic. I would avoid this product if you plan to burn with a Philips SDVD6004 drive, as I have not had this issue with other media.

1 comment:

Efendi said...

hm... g juga baru tau beginian neh :|

thx for sharing :)